I didn’t bring a journal on this trip, I forgot my belt too, but other than that I have everything that I need, a guitar would be nice, but the neighbors appreciate it’s absence. The week was a good one, leaving Washburn with almost a foot of new snow to see me off. Gary my neighbors dad came and blew me out, telling me it was good to have a good neighbor, not really caring for the people who owned the house before me, a little strange he said. I had leftover beers from the housewarming/going away party and left a six pack in the front seat of the mini van.
“I’ll find someone to drink them”, he said. It felt good to give something for the blow out, it would have taken a little while to shovel, I was already delayed. The drive was only a little terrifying, nice and icy. There was a big black pick up on it’s side and a car load of women looking like they were on their way home from a weekend shopping adventure scrambling out of their hatchback as I drove by, one on a cellphone. I felt bad for a second, but what more could I do? I would have blocked up more road and there was no way to stop quickly right there and right then. I drove on, later seeing a semi who went off the freeway, now nestled into the median, un hurt but not coming out of there without help. I drove on, slow, I didn’t want to be in any ditch today and I was sliding a little, that was the terrifying part.
Liz had been in Chicago that weekend, helping Mary getting a dress and we passed each other, waving, each of us with a cell phone in our hand. No time to stop today, each of us ready to get moving. I called my employer on the way down, it sounded like I would work from home, well Ben Schneiders home, and that was okay with me. Luci was back from Europe and down there too, I hadn’t seen her in a few months, a long time for me to think of what had happened and wonder what that reunion would be like, how would it happen? That was tomorrow’s problem, now just get there and not go in the ditch. Stay on the road.
“How are you?”
“Good, where are you?”
“I’m at a vitamin shop, I’m looking for Powell’s Bookstore”
“I’m not far from there, but I need to get to work”
“I think it’s at 825 Wabash”
“Okay, well I’ll call you later”
I hung up and then remembered advice I had been given, go after them, don’t let them just slip away, show that you care. So I forgot about work for a little while and started walking up Wabash, my heart beating and my eyes scanning the street for her. I knew what vitamin store she had been in, I had once had to talk to every business up and down this street for My Best Friends Wedding, there is a scene where Julia and the McDermott guy walk up this street. Central Camera is right there, one of my favorite signs in the city. Nothing yet, I should have a couple more blocks, shouldn’t I be going to work? They don’t know me, it’s my first day, they won’t know. Oh, there she is, did she see me? I hide behind a bush and in 35 seconds I scare the shit out of here,
“What are you doing hiding? You can’t scare people like that.”
“I thought it would be sweet, I wasn’t trying to scare you.”
Later that week I came upon a movie scout and saw a bunch of people that I used to work with. Like a school reunion, but with more teachers than peers. It reminded me of the old career, did I still want it? My blood pressure went up just thinking about it, but of course there were a bunch of good times too. Billy Dambra, I lost his petty cash once, well the driver left it at the hotel and a week later I went and got it. He left me a message about it:
“Where did you put that envelope? I’m about to pop my cork.” I found it, it all worked out, but seeing him reminded me of that moment. Rich Lederer was there, he used to hire me, now Jen Deigl gets those calls and that is fine, I don’t know how much I like that business anymore, but it’s always nice to get the call.
Now I’m in a hotel room in Atlanta, I think I went outside today, it’s warm. I spent all day in a room in the lower part of this place that still has a big Atlanta 1996 Olympic sign in the lobby, which looks like the inside of a whale when you look up. The entire middle is hollow, but the age is starting to show and the $15.00 I spent on a salad and a basket of chips really rubs me the wrong way. I was told that security is tight because of that movie Michael Moore is doing, how can I let him know it is here but not expose myself? Too bad he didn’t give me a job. This weekend I’ll hang with the cousins, maybe see some civil war stuff. Then back to the big windy, my new little sub let, and all the joy of the big city. Three people to play guitar with. It should be a good Spring.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment